Let this be a reminder for everyone to carefully check a bottle's label before applying its contents on their bare skin. Or at least have a quick whiff, if there isn’t a label.
Hand sanitisers are in high demand right now thanks to the COVID-19 outbreak. However, for Taiwanese singer Jolin Tsai, her enthusiasm for good hygiene recently backfired on her in an unfortunate — and, let’s be honest, rather hilarious — way.
On March 6, the 39-year-old shared on Facebook that she was at a restaurant the night before when she noticed a spray bottle, which she believed contained disinfectant.
And it did. But not the kind she thought it was.
“After I’d finished spraying it [on my hands], one of the restaurant staff said to me, ‘Miss, that’s bleach’,” she wrote, ending off her short but entertaining tale with a bunch of emojis to convey her embarrassment. At least Jolin seemed amused enough to tell the whole world about it.
Many fans made light (no pun intended) of the situation, responding with jokes like “You don’t need to whiten your skin, you’re already beautiful” and “You should have told the staff that you’ve gotten tanned lately”. Some also wondered why on earth the employee didn’t recognise Jolin and simply referred to her as “Miss” (#priorities).
Of course, there were others who took the whole thing more seriously, questioning why a bottle of something so toxic like bleach would just be left lying around like that. “That’s really dangerous. What if it happened to someone holding a child or a pet?” wrote one, while another urged Jolin to quickly wash her hands to avoid damaging her delicate skin.